Mourinho opens door to Real Madrid return as agent holds talks with Spanish giants

Jose Mourinho has acknowledged that a return to Real Madrid is a possibility, confirming that his representative is in contact with the club, though he was careful to stress that no formal offer has been made and that a decision is not imminent.
The 63-year-old has guided Benfica through an unbeaten Primeira Liga campaign this season, finishing third, and has emerged as the frontrunner to succeed current Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa, according to reports in both the Spanish and Portuguese press. Mourinho previously spent three years at the Santiago Bernabeu between 2010 and 2013, winning La Liga and the Copa del Rey during that spell, and remains under contract at Benfica until June 2027. The Portuguese club has already tabled a renewal offer.
"My future should be decided this week," Mourinho told reporters on Saturday. "I have a proposal from Benfica. I don't have a proposal from Real Madrid. At the same time, I was saying that to hide that there is nothing, we cannot do that, there is something, but not with me directly. I need time, I need space, I need time to make my decision and this week I think is going to be very important."
Arbeloa, speaking ahead of Real Madrid's La Liga fixture against Sevilla, was warmly receptive to the prospect of his former manager returning to the club. "For me, as one of his players, but above all as a Real Madrid fan, I feel he's number one and I think he is number one," Arbeloa said. "And I think I felt that way a month ago and I'll continue to feel that Jose has been, is and always will be one of us, and if he's the one here next season, I'll be very happy to see him back home."
Mourinho, who has also managed Chelsea, Inter Milan, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur across a decorated career, has won the Champions League twice and would arrive at Real Madrid as one of the most experienced coaches in world football.

SportsLigue
